Apr 1, 2013

Surprise Eggs, a kind of tutorial


So I saw this on Say Yes To Hoboken and wanted to do my own take on it. I love the look of dyed eggs, I didn't want to cover it up with decoupage. After a bit of thinking, I came up with this.... Dyed eggs, lined with a thin layer of chocolate and filled with candy. Here's a half assed tutorial on how to do it.... I didn't take any process photos... whoops. Also it's super easy to make mom of the year crafts when you don't have kids.

Surprise Eggs

Supplies: Eggs, chocolate, vegetable oil, egg dye, candy, mini cupcake liners.

Step 1: Make your friend help you cut open the round end of an egg and drain the egg. Say a little prayer to each egg and apologize for not eating them but instead using them in the vein of crafting.

Step 2: Wash your eggs really good and let dry.

Step 3: Dye the eggs with whatever method you use. I used non organic store bought dyes. Let the eggs completely dry. I let mine sit over night because the hair dryer wasn't doing the trick.

Step 4: Melt some chocolate in a double boiler, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to thin the chocolate out a little so it will coat better.

Step 5: Coat inside of eggs with chocolate, I poured a little chocolate in the egg, rolled the egg around, dumped the chocolate out, shaked my ass and then put the egg on a wire rack hole side down to drain the extra chocolate out. You only want a thin lining, as shown above.

Step 6: Be super impatient and put eggs in freezer. Or be super patient and wait for chocolate to dry.

Step 7: Fill with small candies! I chose Dots, Mike and Ikes, M&M's and jelly beans. I like variety.

Step 8: Dab a little of the chocolate around he edge of the bottom of the egg, adhere cupcake liner and sit right side up while drying. Shouldn't take too long!

Step 9: Smash at least one and eat the candy. You deserve it.

Note: The chocolate in the egg is just because I didnt want my candy to touch the egg shell, Idk, I'm weird. DO NOT EAT THE EGG SHELL.

I know this is too late for 2013 but don't you worry just one bit! 2014 will have an Easter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dance. Your. Heart. Out.